Tuesday, December 16, 2014

[Taiwan] FJU TOASTMASTERS, New Taipei City

In my university in Taiwan, there are a lot of club that every student can join!
at first, I really want to join 'Hand Language Club'. It is about how to use your hand to communicate to a person with disability. But when I came to the stand, they cannot speak English well, and at that time, I also cannot speak Chinese. 一句中國話都不懂. My mother always says if we have different language to communicate, it likes chicken meets duck, cannot understand each other. haha.

The second club I have interested in was .... i forgot the name hahaha. The club is about making story book for the child. We can draw a book and make a story by ourselves! After that we will give the book to them who need it. I have registered my name and phone number to the stand, and they promised to invite me to their first meeting by call. but, until today, have not received any call for them. so sad. haha.

After I was so confused to what club I must join, I decided to come back and took so many brochure from every stand. I have several problems and option before I chose the club..
1. Every club has different meeting time, and I only can come to the meeting every Friday.
2. It will be my luck if some of the club member can speak English well.
3. I really want to join minimum one club to meet Taiwanese Friends, to improve my Chinese, and will be my luck (again) if I can improve my English too!

I believe that, "Where there is a will, there is a way". Accidentally, I found that club. The club with the same criteria that I have mentioned before!
That club is FJU TOASTMASTERS.

Firstly, I open the Facebook of FJU TM. And I found a picture that encourage me alot to join this club. I saw my classmates also register to this club. At that time I thought, "Oh! there are also foreigner to this club. I also want to join!!"
and I immediately contact the person in the brochure. That person asked me,
"Do you have LINE ID?"
and We contacted each other at that time. Believe it or not, he also called me through LINE!
we talked to each other around six minutes about what is FJU TM, and many more, he also explained me about Toastmasters from Facebook messenger.
I finally positively join Toastmasters!
oh ya, Toastmasters is a nonprofit educational organization that operates clubs worldwide for the purpose of helping members improve their communication, public speaking, and leadership skills. (Wikipedia)
So the activities in the club will be, delivering a speech in the public and your speech will be evaluated by the expert. There are two big section of delivering a speech, first one is prepared speech, you must prepared a speech for about 4 until 6 minutes, and second one is table topics, so there is s person read the topics, and you must spontaneously raise your hand and talk about that topics around 1 until 2 minutes.

Become a member, It means you must deliver your speech someday. Last Friday was my first deliver speech! I delivered a speech about Indonesia!! I make a line between Indonesia and comfort zone. At first I explained about how beautiful Indonesia, with some pictures. I made a conjunction between how beautiful Indonesia and comfort zone, with "ah.. now I miss my country, Indonesia.." and than the climax from my speech was,

"Indonesia is my comfort zone, but you cannot always live in your comfort zone. One famous man said that life begins in the end of your comfort zone. So i came to Taiwan. blablbalbalbalbalabla.. in the end i want to ask a question to all of you, 'What is your comfort zone?, Have you ever try to go out from your comfort zone? Let's think about it'"

After I delivered the speech, two expert gave a feedback for me. All of comments were positive and good. All of them said that my speech already good because I told about my country and it made them know more about me. But for the first time to deliver speech, they recommend me to deliver speech about why you want to join FJU TM.
According to me, the worst thing from my speech was the time is not enough. It was too short to speech around four until six minutes. It made me really nervous when timer gave me green card, it means one minute left.



Overall, I feel so happy I can be a member of FJU Toastmasters. Making a lot of new friends from different background, know this country more, and that is really fun!
Knowing Toastmasters makes me know another club from it. There are a lot of Toastmasters club in Taiwan. You can visit the other club to listen the speakers and learn from them. I have visited two another club of Toastmasters. First is TGIF, and the second one is MOFA. I think, the speaker from that club really great!! They deliver the speech successfully and the atmosphere always different with FJU TM.

Haaaappy!

No comments:

Post a Comment